الأحد، 5 مايو 2013

To WordPress or Not To WordPress By Leigh Kline


That is the question. I have been building websites for clients for several years now. When I first began the business, I didn't like using open source software for my clients because I felt like I was cheating them out of my personal labor. I was really big into static websites (as it was all I knew how to do) and completely custom themes.
At the time, I knew very little about any form of Content Management Systems (CMS). I did, however, learn very quickly what "website maintenance" could possibly entail. I found my time to create new websites dwindling fast with just three clients - all wanted changes made to their sites yesterday. And of course, without any form of system the user could use to edit their own content, simple one-word changes required me digging into the code to make those edits.
Meanless to say, it was no fun.
So then I stumbled across WordPress. I don't mean the free hosting blog at WordPress.com - bur rather the "download and install yourself" kind found at WordPress.org. Yes, there is a difference!
Well, as I found some free time between finally-quieting clients, I began to play with my own personal website. I had heard about WordPress for the first time, and I decided to install it and try it out. My first installation took about four hours (and, sad to say, somehow required me getting into the database to fix something I was trying to import and failed miserably at - I was trying to bring over an active forum as well using BuddyPress).
Then I realized installation could take as little as 11 minutes! I had red "facepalm" marks for hours.
Well, immediately I started installing WordPress for new clients, but kept charging the same price as before (which honestly wasn't much to begin with - I learned a few lessons in self-worth at the same time). Guilt crept in at spending a tenth of the time doing better work. I started doing some research and came up with the following assessment:
  • WordPress is free for me to use, but I am charging for it
  • Themes are already done and usually beautiful, but credit must be given visibly
  • Child Themes (my own version based on another theme's templates) are time consuming and difficult to create (for a newbie), but balanced out the free installation, and don't need to be credited (or can have my own personal advertisement right there)
  • Plugins add functionality I could NEVER hope to accomplish at my level of programming
  • The client create and maintain their own content
This author holds no more guilt for using open source software, especially WordPress. I can put my time into custom design and not even have to worry about content. Better yet, I can show others how to use this software one time and not even touch it myself.
In fact, I've started doing that, and you can check it out for yourself! I'd rather you not take my word for it anyway.
See for yourself how easy WordPress is to install! Visit my site at http://startawebsitequick.com and sign up to get my step-by-step instructions on installing WordPress the fastest possible way. The instructions also show you how to use the software!


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7576825

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق